Top 5 Favorite Places in the South

1) Sloss Furnaces in Birmingham, Alabama
I have done a full post as to why I love this place. First off, it's FREE. Second, okay you might hate this: it's haunted (supposedly). Anyway, Sloss Furnaces is a Birmingham landmark as well as a National Historic Landmark and is probably one of the most unique places I have ever visited.


2) Elvis Statue, in Memphis, Tennessee
Memphis holds a special place in heart because it was the first Southern city my family and I traveled to when we first moved to the South. I remember falling in love with Graceland and learning about this unique city and its place in American history. You can see my round up of Memphis here and here.


3) French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana
I really do love playing tourist in good ol' NOLA. It's probably the most unique city in America with its French and Spanish influence. The food, people, history, and architecture are out of this world incredible. If you're looking for a different experience of America that's more than the standard New York and Los Angeles (which are awesome), then head to NOLA.


4) Centennial Park in Atlanta, Georgia
I confess that I have never given Atlanta the attention she deserves. All of my five visits have either been day trips or quick pit stops. However, if you want a big city vibe in the South, then Atlanta is the one. It's got all the great touristy things to do like the CNN Center and even Six Flags and also great city things to do like shows and world class restaurants. Huh, I think I may have just convinced myself to revisit.

5) Biltmore Castle in Asheville, North Carolina
I was slightly skeptical when my mom declared that she wanted to check out Vanderbilt's old hunting ground. However, upon first seeing this gorgeous house (I'm moving in btw), I could totally understand what the fuss was all about. Not only were the grounds stunning, but they are surrounding by equally if not more stunning mountains. You could spend an entire weekend just exploring the grounds (vineyard and garden included).
Biltmore Castle in Asheville, North Carolina
I would say that Savannah, Georgia; Charleston, South Carolina; and Austin, Texas are next on my list. What are some of your favorite Southern hangouts?

Best Wishes, 
The Pseudo Southerner

Comments