Memphis Round II

I visited Memphis last year with my sister and wrote a post about what we got up to HERE. Since we enjoy the city so much, we decided to visit yet again a month ago. This time, however, I wanted to check out some local spots and focus more on food. We didn't have long in the city, as we were just visiting for the day, which is why our itinerary is fairly basis. You will notice that I haven't included the usual suspects (e.g., Graceland and Sun Studio). We actually were able to hit up all of these spots in an afternoon, so if you are here for just the day or even for the weekend, then this is a fun and chill way to spend some time in town.

1) Stax Museum of American Soul Music
Stax was a lot of fun and we managed do everything in an hour. Granted, you could easily spend two hours here just reading and enjoying the music. As you can see, it makes for some really cute photo ops. I will say that it is not in the nicest part of town, however, as two girls we felt perfectly safe. 

 


 2) Jerry's Sno Cones
This place kept popping up wherever I read about things to do in Memphis and it made for the perfect pick-me-up. Again, it's not in the nicest part of town, however, we felt perfectly safe (this is a really popular spot). We headed here right after perusing around Stax. I can't remember exactly how long it took us to get from the museum to here, however, it was roughly 20 minutes with minimal traffic. They have a few parking spaces, however there were plenty of cars parked along the street so you should be fine if the available spaces are taken.

The 'wedding cake supreme' flavor came highly recommended and definitely held up to our expectations. I will say that the portion was rather large, so we ended up splitting it, which was good, because it was pretty sweet. Note that by adding 'supreme' to a flavor, you are basically asking that they include soft serve along with your sno cone (so good!). Oh, and don't forget to write something on the photogenic 'Before I Die' wall.


3) Casablanca (East Memphis, 5030 Poplar Ave, Ste. 7)
A friend strongly recommended Casablanca and boy did we enjoy it! I ordered the chicken shawarma and my sister ordered the chicken kebab. We shared the baba ghanoush, which was really nice and the Greek salad, which is the only thing I wouldn't recommend. Sorry for the lack of a picture, we were both fairly starved at this point despite our rendezvous with Jerry's Sno Cones.
 
4) Gibson's Donuts
Gibson's, like Jerry's Sno Cones, came highly recommended. However, despite the fact that I had it on my itinerary, we were ready to head back after our lunch since we wanted to hit up the Tanger Outlets in Southaven and intended on skipping it as we didn't want to go out of our way. Funnily enough, I spotted Gibson's on our way out of Memphis and told my sister to turn around so we could grab some donuts. Gibson's is a local joint, which was obvious, since there were locals with their families hanging out. It goes without saying hat the donuts were amazing.



What are some of your favorite local spots in Memphis?

Best Wishes, 
The Pseudo Southerner


Comments