Ghost Hunting at Sloss Furnaces in Birmingham, Alabama

I spent four years in Birmingham, Alabama getting my two Bachelor's degrees. While I confess that I have a rather epic love/hate relationship with this city, there is no denying my fascination with its tumultuous history. One landmark in Birmingham that I believe is a must see for anyone living or traveling through is Sloss Furnaces, a National Historical Landmark that is the reason why Birmingham is known as 'Magic City.' Admission into the museum is free and the experience basically consists of you walking through a self guided tour that explains the function of each part of Sloss. Although the museum is open year round, I suggest keeping an eye on the weather since everything is outdoors.







It was a clear day when I visited with my friend (as you can clearly see by the sun rays totally bombing my photos). Despite the sun shining, I couldn't help but to feel totally overwhelmed by the vibe of the museum or to shake off the feeling that I was walking into a part of Birmingham's history. Let me explain, in most museums you visit there are usually glass cases that serve as a barrier between you and history: you are only allowed to see and learn. Sloss, on the other, while having yellow chains and lines to protect visitors from certain dangerous areas, is not like this because you are literally walking down the same paths that the workers of Sloss walked decades earlier.

In fact, there are certain stories about Sloss being haunted because worker did die on the job. Sloss also becomes a haunted house attraction during Halloween. I've never been there during this, but everyone who went seemed to have fun.

Comments