Top 5 Personal Favorite American National Parks

Zion National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
I wish I could say that I have visited each of America's natural treasures multiple times and thus have intimate knowledge of each national park. But alas, that will take a while. However, I have had the pleasure and privilege of visiting several national parks over the course of my 22 years and would like to share the ones that really have stuck out in my mind.

Disclaimer: Like I said, I haven't visited all of the National Parks and the ones listed are my favorites of those I have visited. Please realize that these are my opinions and are not a reflection of those parks I haven't listed and/or visited, because each park is worth a visit and is beautiful in its own way! In fact, it's on my bucket list to travel to each National Park, with Great Smoky Mountain, Glacier, and Yellowstone being at the top of the list.

In no particular order....

1) Bryce Canyon National Park

I sincerely wished that we had more than a day here, I mean, just look at that stunning view! Bryce is more out of the way than the more famous Zion National Park, but trust me on this, it's worth the trip. Although not technically a canyon (it consists of several amphitheaters) it is still truly magnificent. The hiking trails are so much fun with great payoffs not only at the end, but during, since you are awarded with Instagram worthy shots along the way. I would highly recommend that you try the Navajo Loop Trail, as that is where you can see the famous Thor's Hammer.

2) Yosemite National Park

I have been here about three times and each time was better than the last. My first time, however, certainly takes the cake. I was in Elementary School, but I still remember this trip because we rented a cabin across from a beautiful creek for a few days. One of my favorite memories is when my cousin found out that a frog (a rather big one at that) had found its way into our bath tub! Talk about drama!

But seriously, drinking in legendary sites like the El Capitan and Half Dome is not something I took for granted, even as a kid. My over excited imagination made me believe that I was in some fantasy land with knights, wizards and even evil pirates (don't judge). 
 
3) Sequoia National Park 

Sequoia is a total knock out: the red wood trees and dreamy scenery make it a truly remarkable place to visit. My second time there was a my favorite, because it was also the first time I had ever been camping! It really was something to be able to sleep amongst the world-famous Sequoias and then wake up the next morning for a full day of hiking and sightseeing.

I would also suggest a day trip to the neighboring King's Canyon National Park. We made it an afternoon trip and spent roughly two or so hours driving down the Lord of the Rings-esq road to the bottom of the canyon.

4) Zion National Park

I have been to this incredible park two times now. I have to say, however, that my first time was the best because we actually camped (that's right, tent, fires... the whole nine yards). As such, I would highly recommend that you either book a room at the Zion Lodge or camp here for a few days because Zion is best taken at a slow pace with hikes and spending quality time at the outlook points. That being said, if you are pressed for time, I would recommend that you ride along the scenic Zion - Mt Carmel Highway, it only takes about an hour to do so with plenty of chances for great photo ops.

5) Grand Canyon National Park 

Ah yes, the grandest of the canyons. I sincerely doubt it is possible to make a single list of National Parks, whether it be around the world or just American, without including this bucket list destination. Truly though, this place really does live up to its name and the hype. I remember rounding the corner to the outlook point and being absolutely awe-struck at what I was seeing.

Best Wishes 

The Pseudo Southerner 

ALSO SEE: 


Comments