Five Tips For Your Next Roadtrip





Ah, The Great American Roadtrip, there truly is no better way to enjoy the good ol' US of A. However, as adventurous and romantic as a roadtrip sounds, there's a lot to consider before embarking on one. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you plan your next adventure on the open road.

1) Decide how long you can drive for and plan your stops accordingly
How many drivers are in the car? How long can each one drive for before passing out? What I generally like to do is go into Google Maps, punch in my start, each planned stop, and my final destination. This way, I not only have a macroscopic view of my trip, but also a rough estimate as to how long it will take me to get from point A to B. With this, I'm also able to pin point which towns I want to spend the night in, and which ones to by pass. 

Most people generally just know where they are starting and where they want to end up. Don't do this!! Enjoy the journey as much as the destination! Stop at national or state parks, in fact, there are so many scenic routes that go through these parks, see if you can veer off a bit to check them out!

Pro Tip: Please keep time zones in mind! I always forget and then get confused when I lose an hour. America really is a big country. For example, although Atlanta, Georgia is only about two and a half hours away from Birmingham, Alabama, you lose an hour because Georgia is an hour ahead of Alabama.

2) Have a map with you at all times
I usually prefer Google Maps, because then I know which route I want to take and how long it's going to take (I believe they also factor in traffic). It also helps a bunch if you know which major highways you are taking, so actually read the map and attempt to memorize some of it. Obviously have a GPS with you, if you are renting a car, they usually always come with one. If you are a worry wort like me, it helps if someone in the car has a smartphone with a GPS in it (and an unlimited data plan of course) because you know with electronics, batteries run out, they decide to stop working... you get the idea, so having back up is nice.

If you have a AAA membership, then you can walk into your local office and they'll provide you with free maps, brochures, and travel books. I really like the AAA maps, because they are regionally specific and even specific to a state, as are the travel books they give.

3) Know where to stop for bathroom breaks
Rest stops are usually a good bet, although, depending where you are, I would be careful at night. Most rest stops are safe and, if you have an emergency, are (in my experience) a safer bet than taking a random exit, since, as a young woman, I don't feel comfortable getting off on them (just use your good sense). Also, if there's a sizable town and well lit town coming up, I'll usually stop there at a gas station.

4) If you have just entered a state, city or a town, keep an eye out for a visitor's center. 
These visitor's centers are fantastic, since there's usually someone who can give you free maps and tell you what's up and down. For the big cities, I imagine you will have checked online for what you want to do, but if you find yourself in a lesser know city, the visitor's center is the foolproof way to plan out your visit. 

If you have just crossed state lines, keep an eye out for visitor's centers, as they can sometimes be an exit off the highway and thus double as a rest stop. Every major city and most sizable towns have visitor's centers, so either ask the front desk of the hotel you are staying at or (as I like to do) check on your phone. Other than pointing you to the attractions, the visitor's centers can also tell you where to eat and which hotels are in town.

5) Find ways to entertain yourself while on the road
To be perfectly honest, I'm a rather boring traveler, as I prefer to get lost in my own thoughts whilst on the road. However, I do know that I'll go crazy without music, so I always make sure to have an auxiliary cord with me or ensure that my phone is connected to the bluetooth of the car. If I know it's going to be an extra long drive, I'll even burn a few CDs in case my phone dies.

Something else I like to do is listen to a book. In fact, if you can find a story that suits everyone in the car, it can really kill the time. I haven't tried it, but my friends all like Audible for this and it sounds great.

ALSO SEE:

Thoughts & Roadtrips

Comments