Portland City Guide

I honestly didn't have a lot of time in Portland, but I still managed to get a feel of the city. If you're short on time, here are some places that you should check out.

Desserts

Voodoo Doughnuts - Most locals will roll their eyes if you say you want to visit here, but I still think it's worth it and the doughnuts are actually really good!

Blue Star Doughnuts - Most locals will smile at you if you say you want to visit here, 'nough said. 

Salt and Straw - Drool worthy ice cream that comes highly recommended by locals and tourists alike.

Coffee 

NOTE: I only drank at two coffee shops during my time in Portland, but they were both pretty great. 
  
Stumptown - Literally down the street from Voodoo. We went during off hours so it was peaceful and the coffee was on point. Their pastry selection was also amazing. 

Behind the Museum Cafe - We stumbled on in this place after our plans to visit the Portland Museum of Art fell through. They have a great tea selection if coffee isn't your thing.  


Landmarks 

Keep Portland Weird Mural - Right across the street from Voodoo. I would actually recommend that you get a pick here early in the day since the lighting at night is weird.

White Stag sign - You can get a great selfie (no shame) in front of this iconic sign from the Burnside Bridge.

Powell's Books - This is huge bookstore that you could easily spend an afternoon getting lost in. They have books on virtually every subject so this is a great place to let your inner nerd shine. 

Schnitzer Portland Sign - This iconic sign is a blast from the Roarin' 20s and is worth a look see.

Eat

NOTE: Portlanders are vicious when it comes to judging food. They expect fresh high quality ingredients served at locally owned restaurants. I'm no Gordon Ramsey, but I can say that I had absolutely no complaints on the food front, which is why this is a comprehensive list of everywhere I ate. I'll let you guys to judge the quality.

The Observatory - 8115 SE Stark St | We ate here on the recommendation of our hotel's front desk clerk. It was my first time eating anything in Portland and I'm happy to report that the food was on point. It's mainly American fair with a good selection of meat dishes with accommodations for vegetarians and vegans.

Golden Horse - 238 NW 4th Ave | As a Californian, I grew up going to hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurants that served aaamazing and authentic food. Golden Horse is arguably better than some of the restaurants I grew up eating at (but hey, what do I know). This place even bakes its own fortune cookies! Tip: you know that the Chinese restaurant is great if they only have chopsticks.

Pine Street Market - 126 SW 2nd Ave | I'd never heard of a food hall prior to coming here. However, I have to say that it is an absolutely genius idea. Just think of your college cafeteria but better. There's something for everyone.

Tusk - 2448 E Burnside St | Hands down the best meal I had all year. The cuisine is Middle Eastern and it's delicious. Service is great and the food is prepared and presented with pride. I will warn you that this isn't a cheap restaurant to eat at and that you're probably gonna need a reservation at least the day before. However, if you're a couple, I'd highly recommend this place.

Mother's Bistro & Bar - 212 SW Stark St | My friend and I stumbled on this place and after taking a peek at Tripadvisor, we were surprised to see it ranked so high. The place was packed for lunch with families, which we took as a good sign. Service was great and the breakfast food we ordered was satisfying after a long morning of walking around downtown.

Off the Radar

Kiriko - 325 NW Couch St | This Japanese clothing store (ironically located in China Town) specializes in homemade scarves, ties, etc. It's expensive, but great if you need a gift for one of the men in your life or just need a good peruse.

Cameron's Books & Magazines - 336 SW 3rd Ave | This was a another place we stumbled upon. If you're looking for a book shopping experience beyond the famous Powell's, check out this hole-in-the-wall place. The prices are incredibly cheap and it's so much fun perusing through the shelves of 2nd hand books.

Burnside Bridge - I didn't expect to enjoy myself so much walking in the rain on Burnside Bridge, but I did. It's incredibly photogenic and on the Old Town side you can properly see the White Stag (Portland) sign.

Lownsdale Square - SW 4th Ave & Main St | This beautiful little park is right in the middle of all of the skyscrapers in Portland. The Soldiers Monument in the middle of it commemorates Oregonians who lost their lives in the Spanish-American War. 


What are your Portland recommendations?

Best Wishes, 
The Pseduo Southerner

Comments