What I Ate in New Orleans, Louisiana

New Orleans is a great food city and there are restaurants that cater to all types of diets. Although we aren't super picky eaters, I will fess up to being a little spoiled in that I like my restaurants to be "nice" (i.e., you won't find me in a dive unless it is highly recommend). That being said, we made sure to try out a variety of restaurants that were new and old. This is obviously not a comprehensive list but it may give you some ideas as to where to eat on your next trip to the Big Easy. 

NOTE: All of the restaurants we went to are vegetarian friendly. However, Carmo is the only one we visited that I know for sure is vegan friendly.

1) Louisiana Pizza Kitchen 
This was such a nice little pizzeria with a friendly staff and yummy pizzas. We ordered the eggplant and Margerita pizzas and left super happy. There is also an option to order your pizzas with a gluten free crust and they had salads and sandwiches that looked good as well.  It's located right across from the French Market on the edge of the Quarter.


 2) Sucré
I will confess to having a horrible sweet tooth AND allowing Instagram pictures of fancy looking macaroons to enable me. Hence, when I found this cute little patisserie online, I just knew that we had to visit. They are located on the edge of the French Quarter and sell traditional French pastries, chocolates, and even gelato! If you would like to get a sugar fix without the touristy feel of Cafe du Monde, I'd strongly recommend that you give Sucré a go.

Please pardon the blurry picture, I was literally salivating as I took it and didn't bother to double check on its quality :(


3) Muriel's 
We were walking around the French Quarter for over two hours and worked ourselves up a huge appetite. I brought up the handy Trip Advisor app and noticed that we were close to this traditional restaurant located in Jackson Square. The lunch menu was reasonable and came with some old fashioned service, we had two waiters, which made me feel fancy. In fact, out of all of the places we ate at, Muriel's had the most "New Orleans" feel to it. In fact, I heard that it's haunted as well (yikes). Ghosts aside, we ordered the house salad, shrimp pasta, and curry vegetables. The salad was by far our favorite dish.




4) Carmo
We visited the National World War II Museum on our last day in NOLA and found ourselves hungry after perusing the exhibits for two hours. Carmo was roughly a five minute walk and came highly rated. We ordered the special of the day, which was a shrimp dish with red beans and rice, and the vegetarian sandwich. I enjoyed my shrimp dish and found it to be a perfect portion for lunch. My sister did like the sandwich but found the flavor a little too bland. As aforementioned, this is the only vegan friendly place we went to on this trip.



5) Cafe du Monde 
Obviously a trip to New Orleans isn't complete without a visit to this institution. Order the beignets and cafe au lait: it's the perfect pick me up after wandering around the French Quarter. We enjoyed it so much that we ended up visiting twice! Although I love Cafe du Monde, I will warn you that it is very touristy; I have been told that Morning Call is the place to go for a more local experience (maybe next time).


Where do you like to eat in NOLA?

Best Wishes, 
The Pseudo Southerner

Comments