Exploring Xunantunich in Belize








Belize is not really a country that's on everyone's travel list. However, we ended up visiting because it was a port-of-call on our Carnival Cruise. I was actually pretty excited about Belize because I literally didn't know what to expect. The excursion that we ended up going with was exploring the Mayan ruins of Xunantunich, which is really close to Guatemala. In fact, you can see the border at the top of the main pyramid!

The drive from the port took two hours, which was alright with me because I got to see Belize City and the countryside. I was slightly worried about hiking up the pyramid, however, it didn't take that long and we took breaks in between. Honestly, it only took about ten minutes to get up there and the heat was the hardest part to deal with. I will say that the most exciting part was being able to climb up the front steps....although the magnificent view from the top was pretty epic!

After visiting Xunantunich, I definitely want to see some more Mayan Ruins, with Tik'al in Guatemala and Chichen Itza in Mexico being at the top of the list.


Have you ever visited a Mayan ruin site?

Best Wishes, 
The Pseudo Southerner

Comments