Top 5 (Personally Preferred) Ways to Record Travels

Although I am a firm believer in being able to live in the moment as opposed to being busy capturing it, some of the latter is an important part of the travel experience. As it is obvious with the presence of my blog, and my rampant Instagraming, I do believe that you should take some time to capture the moment and then find a way to relieve it (e.g. creating an album, Instagram, album on your phone, blogging, or scrapbooking). 

Here are some tips for you to record your travels. Read on!


  






1) Instagram 

This may sound silly and perhaps even a little sophomoric, but I have to say, I really enjoy using Instagram to record my travels. Sure, my followers are spammed with pretty pictures, but hey, it's just too fun! I generally use the geotagging feature so that I know exactly where I was on which day. 

My number one tip would be to write a thoughtful comment on how you felt when you took your selfie. This will be a nice tid bit to look back on for years to come. Check out my (amateur) tips on how to take decent photographs HERE.

2) Blog

You can make a private or public blog for free. It is a great way to have your pictures and thoughts in one place. Also, unlike Instagram, you can treat your blog as a personal travel journal. I personally prefer blogging to traditional journaling merely because I can type faster than I can write.

3) Travel Journal 

That being said (about blogging), there are really some incredible benefits of keeping a travel journal. I personally like to use a moleskin (I know, I'm a real artsy hipster ;)), some scotch tape, and a pen. The scotch tape is so that I can put things like tickets, receipts, and general mementos in my journal. I really would love to invest in a Polaroid camera so that I can incorporate pictures in the journal on the spot! 

My number one recommendation would be to take at least 10-20 minutes at the end of your day to journal/record what you did. Travel journal are great, because unlike with a blog, you can look at it at any time and it's something tangible that you have.

4) Vlog

This is one mode of recording my travels that I have yet to try. That being said, travel vlogs are some of my favorite YouTube videos to watch! There is just something about virtually following someone around a city or a different country. I definitely need to try my hand at video recording my travels.

For those of you wanting to vlog, I noticed that the most successful ones were those that struck a balance between showing the viewer the sights and actually providing commentary on it.

5) Scrapbooking

Possibly the most expensive out of the lot (if you don't already own a camera and/or video camera that is), I still think that scrapbooking is a wonderful way to record your memories. It is definitely the most traditionally creative thing to do out of this list, but seriously, it's a lot of fun. There are few things more delightful than flipping through a scrapbook full of fun memories. 

I would recommend avoiding buying the bulk of your supplies from chain stores such as Michael's, they tend to be overly priced and you don't really get all that much. You would be better off browsing on Amazon or Etsy. 

What is your favorite way to record travel memories?

Best Wishes, 

The Pseudo Southerner

Comments