Going Back in Time: Casco Viejo, Panama

Catedral Metropolitana



 



Esteban Huertas Promenade
Iglesia San Jose

Iglesia de la Compania de Jesus
Casco Viejo is like stepping back in time. The colonial era buildings, restaurants, churches, museums, and coffee shops make this place a hot spot for tourists and locals alike. My recommendation is to get there early so that you have time to explore the museums and churches. As for food, you can check out their webiste HERE to see what you would like. However, if you don't have any dietary restrictions, my recommendation would be to just pop into any restaurant that looks good and see what happens!

Transportation: Depending on where you are, I would recommend catching a taxi to Plaza de La Independencia / Plaza Catedral, which is the main square in Casco Viejo. Once you're here, Beyou can simply walk around. 

Attractions: There are a number of museums (museos) and churches (iglesias) to see here. The very top picture is of the Catedral Metropolitana (entrance is free). However, I have to say that my favorite attraction was Iglesia San Jose, which has a stunning gold altar inside (entrance is also free). Unfortunately, we didn't have a chance to check out the museums, but let me tell you, just walking around is enough because it's just so beautiful. I also loved the Esteban Huertas Promenade (pictured above). There were several vendors there selling handmade goods and a stunning view of downtown Panama City.

Food: We had lunch at Diablicos; the food was pretty good and I found my ceviche to be incredibly refreshing. There was also a coffee break at Expresso Americano because all the touristing requires some caffeine! The space was really small but the service was friendly and the iced coffee was on point.

Language: Be aware that most Panamanians speak Spanish and not a lot of English. To be perfectly honest, in the eight days that I was in Panama City, I ran across around five people who spoke/understood English well enough to have a conversation with. As such, I would highly recommend downloading a Spanish-English dictionary and memorizing key phrases. Don't be that person who expects everyone to know English!

Have you ever visited Panama?

Best Wishes, 

The Pseudo Southerner 





Comments