An Afternoon at the Art Institute of Chicago



Visiting
The Art Institute of Chicago is one of the world's most famous museums that houses world class art (hello Nighthawks and American Gothic). Prices vary depending on the day of the week and your residence, see HERE for more information. It is located near the Magnificent Mile and is actually pretty close to the Bean. Click HERE for directions and parking.

Planning Your Visit
You need to give yourself some time to properly see everything you want to at the museum. I thought we would be done in three hours, boy was I wrong! If you are a fan of art or just perusing the halls of a museum, then I'd recommend designating an entire day to see all of the artwork. Moreover, if you are strapped for time, then I'd recommend either catching a tour or downloading their app and creating a custom tour for yourself. Hit up their website to see which works of art you want to see/take a snap of yourself in front of.

The Experience
As for the experience itself, it was my favorite place we visited in Chicago. If you find yourself burning out from all the world class art (it's all right, I did), then I'd recommend you go down the street for some coffee and croissants at Pret (there's also a Starbucks for purists). Just make sure to keep your tickets so that you can be admitted back in. 

I truly loved looking at all the artwork and seeing iconic paintings in person. As a total nerd, I really enjoyed reading up on the information of the different works, such as the Chagall America Windows (see above), Monet, and Picasso. In fact, I actually discovered a new favorite artist, Edgar Degas, because they had an entire room dedicated to his stunning paintings.

Have you ever visited the Art Institute of Chicago? What were your favorite artworks?

Best Wishes, 

The Pseudo Southerner


Comments