Photo Op With the King on Beale Street in Memphis, Tennessee




No visit to Memphis is complete without at least a walk down Beale Street. My sister and I made a trip there this past weekend for the day. I had been there once before in high school and remember enjoying the likes of Graceland and the Pink Palace Museum. This trip was even better! 

My sister and I didn't go to Beale Street for the bar scene, so this post is mainly about our time there during the day. While we were here, we went to the Rock n' Soul museum, had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe (we weren't in the mood for barbecue), took a photo with Elvis (see below), and walked up and down Beale Street.

THE HISTORY:  This place has A LOT of history. In fact, it used to be the heart of Memphis, where business and music was made. Today, Beale Street is a world-renown tourist destination. However, around mid century, it was a way of life. People from all over the South and beyond would come here to perform jazz, blues, rock n' roll, and even vaudeville. 

THESE DAYS: Today, Beale Street, as aforementioned, is a tourist destination. We went there during the day because we like to party like that. During the day, there are several restaurants serving up barbecue and several bars (Happy Hour anyone?). I would recommend a quick walk down the street just for the photo ops and to get a taste of this place. If you are bringing family with you, I would recommend going during the day. I did see plenty of kids and families and my sister and I, being two young women, felt safe there.

SCHEMATICS: The touristy section of Beale Street is honestly not that long, you could probably walk up and down at a brisk pace it in ten minutes. It is closed off to traffic, so you don't have to worry about getting run over when you walk out a bar ;). 

PARKING: We parked at the parking garage at the 250 Peabody Place Parking Garage near Fourth Street and Rufus Thomas. It's a public parking garage that is close to a number of attractions, including Beale Street. We were okay paying the price (I can't remember what it was off the top of my head, but I do remember it being reasonable considering that we were parked there for about three and a half hours). There are parking options along the street, but seeing as we were downtown, we felt better knowing that our car was in a secure garage. 

PHOTO OP WITH THE KING: The Elvis statue is located on the South Side of Beale Street. It's across the street from the Hard Rock Cafe and a little ways down. This was a fun (and free) thing for us to do. I would suggest this quick and fun attraction, as it makes for some great photos so that you can relive your time in Memphis!

Best Wishes, 

The Pseudo Southerner 

Comments