Ten Things that Happen When you Start to Read

 The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more place you'll go ~ Dr. Seuss





I can honestly say that my first love was books. My elementary school had a fantastic reading program in place. As a result, I was always coming home with The Boxcar Children, Encyclopedia Brown, and Junie B. Jones books. Boy, those were the glory days, let me tell you. I quickly realized that there was no turning back from books. Sure, I have fallen into a few 'reading slumps' over the years, but I ALWAYS picked myself back up and started reading again. Of course, it stands to reason that having such an academic hobby would affect my life. So, my fellow bibliophiles (or not, I don't judge), in no particular order, here are ten things that happen when you start to read.

1) You start to have an open mind 

2) You try to understand the world and its people a little better, thanks to #1

3) Before you judge someone, you try to put yourself in their shoes because of #2

4) No matter how many books you finish reading, there are still like a hundred more to be read

5) The library and/or bookstore becomes your second home

6) Your imagination takes over your mind to where you just wanna fly off to Neverland or catch a ride on the Hogwarts Express

7) When you start talking about your favorite books and authors, there's no stopping you

8) You begin to scrounge up cash to buy your next read

9) The book was better than the movie, period

10) 'Just one more page' becomes your mantra


Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write. ~ John Adams.




Comments